B.Ed Second Year Notes English Medium
Limitations/Disadvantages of in-service training
1) Lack of incentives, motivation, interest, trained staff, facilities, initiative.
2) Inappropriate curriculum and courses
3) Inappropriate methods and techniques used.
4) Administrative problems
5) Financial problems
6) Lack of follow-up programmes
7) Numerous courses available so there is danger of over-lapping due to lack of coordination between the various agencies
8) Many teachers may view such training with a negative attitude as frivolous and an opportunity to have fun and for recreation and may not take it seriously.
9) Teachers may not implement the newly gained skills.
10) Some in-service courses are of short duration and may not impart all the necessary skills required for improvement in the subject area.
11) Conversely, some courses may be too loaded and all teachers may not be able to handle or understand all the concepts clearly.
12) Courses where the teachers are parallelly working may exhaust and tire out the teacher as a result neither is she concentrating properly on the students nor on the course.
13) The school may not be equipped with the necessary infrastructure / equipment to allow the teacher use of their newly gained skills. E.g. New technology learnt but no computer lab facility.
14) The school curriculum may not be flexible enough to accommodate the new methods of teaching learnt.
SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT
1) A large-scale and coordinated programme should be organized university, private educational institutes and private associations together.
2) The refresher course after every 5 years should be made compulsory.
3) NCERT has suggested that every state should have a 3-tier programme in place – 1st tier for teachers followed by 2nd tier for headmaster and then 3rd tier should be trained by the 1st and 2nd tiers.
4) Subject experts should be called for refresher and orientation courses.
INSTITUTIONS FOR IN-SERVICE TRAINING
1) NCERT – National Council of Education Research and Technology
2) NCTE – National Council of Teachers Education
3) UGC – University Grants Commission
4) DIET – District Institute of Education and Training
5) NIEPA – National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration
6) Textbook Bureau
7) Subject Teacher Associations
8) State Institutes of Education
9) State Institutes of Science
10) State Institutes of English
11) State Directorate of Education
12) Extension Services departments
13) Correspondence courses
14) Evening courses
15) Summer Institutes