Counselling for children with special needs.
(Only gifted students are considered here)
Meaning of Special Needs
- Having superior or extraordinary ability
- Intellectually gifted or exceptional
- Those who show creativity and are talented in writing, literature, music, graphic arts, mechanical skills, performing arts, social leaders, sports, etc.
A gifted child may become a problem for parents, neighbors, friends, teachers, society, etc. if he/she is not handled properly.
Causes/problems arise when
- They revolt against the parents and teachers when they do not recognize. Their talent.
- Because of lack of opportunity and lack of recognition, he or she develops inferiority complex or becomes whimsical and may even develop criminal tendencies.
- When he or she is not properly guided, they utilize their superior intelligence in mischief, indiscipline, or gang-formation.
Role of teacher/ Role of counsellor/ Role of guide with respect to specially gifted children
- To formulate programme for enrichment of the talented children.
- To suggest modification in the curricular and extra-curricular activities.
Methods of educating gifted children
- Double promotion
- Prepare a homogenous group
- Enrichment of the curricula.
- Using methodologies like Dramatics, Camps, Sports, Projects, etc.