Supervised study and home assignment.
A Method of Teaching is a process of planning, guiding, sharing and evaluating learning with a group of students. It is a procedure the teacher follows to make learning easy and effective.
The purpose of supervised study and home assignment is to make the student self-sufficient by developing within him an attitude and initiative for self-learning. Easy topics can be given to the student. The teacher acts as guide and facilitator and counsels the students. Students present their work at the end along with a discussion.
Merits of supervised study and home assignment
- Develops self-study and self-inquiry
- Promotes regular and good study habits
- Each student studies at his own pace so there is no pressure to perform.
- Teaching-learning process for the teacher becomes easy.
- Student-centric learning as they are active participants.
Demerits of supervised study and home assignment
- All students may not take up the interest or responsibility of studying on their own.
- Difficult concepts cannot be taught in this manner. Eg. Spatial geography
- Time-consuming method.
- Limited or no scope for teaching aids.