Geography combines study of earth, man, nature and the universe and their influence on each other. Thus it a “complete” subject governing all forms of existence.
In today’s age of globalization, geography is a unifying factor for the diverse regions of the world to come together for international understanding and peace.
It has practical, economical, administrative, political and scientific importance.
Unfortunately Geography has not been given a very important place in the curriculum as seen in the following allotment of periods and marks.
- Ist, IInd – Introduction to the subject and awakening of the students. Treated as part of nature study. 2-3 periods per week and exams in oral form.
- IIIrd, IVth – Geography is taught as a separate subject with own textbook. 3-4 periods a week. Written exams – 15 or 20 marks unit test and 40 or 50 marks terminal and final exams.
- Vth, VIth, VIIth, VIIIth – Mostly physical, political and human geography is taught. It is combined with History civics to form social studies. Written exams and geog. Gets 2 periods per week.
Total 100 marks – Geog 40 + Hist 40 + Civics 20
- IXth and Xth – More knowledge is gained. Combined with History, Civics, Economics to form social studies. Written exams and 2 periods per week.
Total 150 marks – Geog 50 + Hist 50 + Eco 25 + Civics 25
- XIth and XIIth – full 100marks paper of written exam with 4 periods per week
Thus it is sidelined as a subject and has not been given the due place it deserves.