Use of basic education introduced by Mahatma Gandhi
Use of basic education introduced by Mahatma Gandhi.
Basic means that which comes first in time.
Gandhiji evolved the theory of Basic Education and its contribution is seen in the following areas –
- Co-education – Boys and girls are taught together.
- Pragmatism – Learning by doing where time should be spent on manual work and activities under teacher’s supervision.
- Craft education – the child should learn the “why” and “therefore” of every process. Seen in today’s vocational education.
- Reading before Writing – recognize letters as pictures and then drawing them.
- Play way method – because play is an essential part of education.
- Education through mother-tongue – as concepts and ideas are easier to grasp in that language.
- Religious education – should be spread by word of mouth and through examples and lives of teachers not through books.
- Vocational training – for future life.
- Curriculum – should include world history, geography, botany, astronomy, arithmetic, algebra, geometry.
- Good teachers – who have good character and the spirit of service.
- Cheap school buildings – as high costly ones are not necessary.
- Place of English – English should be taught as it is a language of international intercourse and commerce.
- Educational Psychology – to love and understand children better.
Thus Gandhiji’s Basic Education is relevant even today.