Importance of local geography
Concept and importance of geography
Local Geography is the study of our immediate local environment or surroundings.
Initially, for a child, it may start from the environment around his home, his school and then extend to the open surrounding around his town into neighbouring towns or villages. In later stages it expands even further to include his district, state and country.
There are various ways of studying local geography such as observation of natural phenomena, field trips and excursions, surveys, etc.
Merits of local geography
- The study of local geography will provide direct learning experiences
- It encourages the spirit of exploration
- It develops imagination and visualization powers.
- It makes observation powers keener.
- It helps the child to develop good community relationships
- It provides a better understanding of geographical concepts.
The teacher may make profitable use of this rich source and can effectively teach many subjects such as islands, valleys, forts, mountains, rivers, lakes, shorelines, seasons, dams, rocks, plains, plateau, etc.
A Teacher who ignores Local Geography is neglecting a rich source of creating geographical interest in the child.
Thus Local Geography is the base or foundation on which the further structure of advanced study of Geography is raised.