Content cum Methodology in Geography
CCM- Content cum Methodology
It is highly controversial which is more important – method or content. However, being an effective teacher means striking a balance between the two so it requires mastery over content as well as use of proper methodology to teach it.
Concept of CCM
Content cum Methodology is the procedure to combine or integrate the contents and methods for the teaching-learning activities of a subject.
Content means “ideas” or “meanings” while Method is the science of learning. Content means “What to teach?” and Method means “How to teach?”
Definition by NCTE – “Content –cum-Methodology is a meaningful integration of content and method to be developed in the pupil-teacher, in terms of observable skills.”
Need of Content cum Methodology
- To introduce a teacher to and help her to know the functions and objectives of the content.
- To introduce a teacher to different methods of teaching the content. A geography teacher should know what method to use to teach the Geography subject.
- To motivate the teacher to build a bridge across the gap between content and methodology
- To motivate the teacher to adjust and co-operate with the various methods that are adopted.
- To categorise the content under different sections.
Importance and merits of Content cum Methodology
- Develops a new outlook towards the curriculum.
- Helps to broaden the boundaries of knowledge.
- Creates and ability and attitude to analyse and scrutinize the teaching content.
- Creates an ability to evaluate different teaching methods and select the most appropriate one for the teaching of the unit.
- Heightens the quality of the teaching-learning process.
Objectives of Content cum Methodology
- To enable the teacher to understand the structure of a subject.
- To enable the teacher to understand syllabus and ability develop it.
- To enable the teacher to understand curriculum and the ability to analyse and develop it.
- Ability to understand and analyse content.
- To enable the teacher to use different approaches, techniques, methods of teaching as per the required needs and stated objectives.
- To know how to develop character and inculcate morality by relating core elements and values with content.
- To understand inter-relationship between textbook and syllabus and curriculum.
- To critically analyse the textbook
- To efficiently integrate content and methods
Implementation of Content cum Methodology
The general steps and activities taken up while implementing CCM are as follows –
- Structure of the subject – Preparation or selection of the structure, studying the rationale behind it and developing the skills to use it.
- Curriculum – Acquaintance with the curriculum and its critical study.
- Syllabus – Acquaintance with the syllabus and its critical study and overview of its relationship and difference with respect to curriculum and its derivations from it.
- Syllabuses and textbooks – Comparative study between the syllabus and textbook to find out correlation and extent between the two.
- Textbooks –
- Analysis of the complete textbook with reference to its content – units, core elements, values, concepts, etc.
- And detailed content analysis of one textual unit with in terms of scope, content, skills, core elements and values, teaching methods, possible teaching aids, etc.
- Also critical evaluation of textbook’s internal and external aspects.
- Methods of teaching and lesson planning – Understanding various teaching methods and preparing the teaching of 2 similar units at 2 different levels using 2 different teaching methods.
- Practice teaching – Conducting the prepared lessons as per lesson plans.
- Evaluation – Evaluation of the teacher through observation of their participation, their practical work and administering an achievement test.
Some important study notes