Q. Explain Diagnostic Testing
Diagnosis means identification of disease with the help of the patient’s symptoms.
In teaching-learning, diagnostic tests are those which provide a detailed picture of weaknesses and strengths in the particular subject or area of learning.
It serves to 2 purposes –.
- Diagnosis – Identify causes for the weaknesses.
- Prognosis – Measure extent of learning outcome.
- Observational techniques.
- Testing methods like clinical testing, psychological testing, educational testing, etc.
Importance of Diagnostic Testing / Need of Diagnostic Testing / Utility of Diagnostic Testing / Merits of Diagnostic Testing
The Diagnostic test is useful to the teachers of English for many reasons –.
- Identify the causes of slow progress among students.
- Identify the students who make slow progress in the learning of the subject.
- Identify the specific areas which need remediation.
- Place the students properly in the teaching-learning process.
- Provide proper feedback to students and parents.
- Heighten and hasten the efficiency of the teaching – learning process.
- Modify the methods of teaching English.
- They are also a tool to help identify the teacher’s shortcomings too in case many students are showing deficiency in one particular understanding.