As per Mac Iver – “Family is a group defined by a sex relationship, sufficiently precise and enduring to provide for the procreation and upbringing of children.”.
As per Nimkoff – “Family is more or less durable association of husband and wife with or without children or of a man or woman alone with children.”.
1) Satisfaction of sex needs.
2) Production and rearing of offspring.
3) Provision of a home.
1) Economic function – to provide financial security.
2) Religious function – Religion followed is taught to the child..
3) Educational function – Teaching of values, morals, way of life, etc..
4) Health function – proper physical education and nutritious food..
5) Recreation function – entertainment by celebrating festivals, birthday, weddings..
6) Civic function – Taking care of environment, waste management, reducing pollution, preserving monuments, water saving, etc..
7) Social function – Socialisation of a child – respect for elders, playing with peers, interaction with society, going to school, etc..
8) Filocentric function – today’s family is more child-centered..
Educational functions / roles of family in education
Family is an important, fundamental and informal but very active agency of education that works on following development areas –
Provide the child with good food, healthy surroundings and rest.
Eg. Timely vaccination..
Older members of the family set good examples before the younger ones.
Eg. – speaking the truth.
Participation in household activities
Encourage children to participate in household affairs to make them learn to subordinate any selfish interest for the sake of family.
Eg. – dusting their room.
Intellectual, practical and aesthetic interests
Keenly observe to draw out his hidden talents.
Eg. – promote reading, music, sports.
Seize every opportunity to gain knowledge of child psychology. Show neither too much leniency nor too much strictness in dealing with issues.
Eg. – use constructive punishment.
Importance of play
Provide ample opportunities for play and social recreation as this is also a very important aspect of educating a child.
Eg. –teach them new indoor and outdoor games..
The child should be encouraged to participate in various constructive activities.
Eg. –jigsaw puzzles, etc..
Realize the limitation of the school
Recognize the importance of the school and also its limitations and thus cooperate with the authorities in doing their own bit in furthering the progress of their child.
Eg. – monitor daily H.W..