What is learning? Explain concept and nature of learning
What is learning? Explain concept and nature of learning.
Learning is an interaction wherein when any situation acts upon the learner, he reacts and modifies his behavior. Eg. A child touches the flame of a candle, and immediately withdraws his hand. He has learnt how it feels to get scalded.
Definition of Learning
Munn – “To learn is to modify behavior and experience.”.
Skinner – “Learning is a process of progressive behavior adaptation”.
Nature of learning / Concept of learning / Characteristics of learning
- Learning is a lifelong continuous process from womb to tomb.
- Learning is universal – Applies to human beings as well as animals with man learning in a more rational way.
- Learning is permanent change in behavior – we now know something that we did not know before. Eg. Swimming.
- Learning is development – For better or for worse, for right or for wrong. Eg. Use of science for development or for destruction.
- Learning is adjustment – Individual adjusts or adapts himself to the new thought or process or environment.
- Learning is purposeful and goal oriented. Eg. Learning a foreign language with interest leads to more successful learning.
- Learning is made more effective through pre-planning and practice. Eg. Multiplication tables.
- Learning needs motivation and encouragement.
- Learning depends on maturation. Eg. A physiologically healthy child will learn faster and more effectively.
- Learning is related to intelligence – An intelligent child will learn faster than a child who is slow and casual.
- Learning has a wide scope.
- Involuntary physical responses to stimulus cannot be termed as learning – Eg. Blinking at bright light.
- Learning improves with repetition.
- What are the barriers to assistive technology?
- Flipped classroom
- Discussion, conclusions and implications of brain-based learning
- Principles for brain-based learning
- Social Constructivism
- Insight Learning – Wolfgang Kohler: Theory and Definition
- B.F Skinners – Operant Conditioning
- E.L Thorndike- Trial and Error Theory of Learning
- Define Transfer of Learning, it’s concept and types, as a teacher how will you use it in teaching learning?
- Factors affecting learning